Monday, August 26, 2013

A few thoughts on growing up

Okay, I'm gonna be honest with you few faithful blog viewers: Being a grown up has been really hard for these past two years. Not that I completely consider myself a grown up. I still drink milk out of a box with a straw sometimes, and sometimes I go buy a pack of underwear just because I'm too lazy to do laundry. I am obviously not exactly the poster child for adulthood.
However, I am two years older than I was two years ago (MATH!), and I would say that I've learned a considerable amount in those two years.
Please prepare for one of my beloved lists.

1. I love my mom and dad a whole heck of a lot.
2. It's a lot easier to love my mom and dad that much when I live 40 minutes away from them. Sorry Mom and Dad. It's not you, it's me.
3. Living at home is a lot easier than living on your own, but when it's time to go, it's time to go and once you're gone, it's really hard to move back in.
4. As easy as it is to say think that your parents don't let you stay out until 3 in the morning because they hate you and are anti-freedom (which makes them TERRIBLE Americans), but rather because parents were once teens too and they know that you do stupid stuff and they probably don't want you to die (or so I'm guessing).
5. Sometimes you're wrong about that friend that you were going to be friends with forever. People change and lives change and it's okay to not be friends with that person.
6. Sometimes that friend doesn't see your "friendly parting" in the same way and you find out that someone you really cared about now hates you. Don't let that feeling of sucking just sit there and fester and do bad things to you. Work on being a better person and move on. Lingering on it won't make it or you any better though.
7. Other people make mistakes. You make mistakes. Everyone messes up in their life. You aren't a terrible person because of it and neither are they. Move on.
8. Work on moving on a lot. Progress is good. Not doing anything is not good. Don't do that thing.
9. It's okay that you can't keep food off of your clothes when you eat. Just remember to try really really hard to do that if you're on a date with someone cute. Or don't. Who knows, it could be an icebreaker.
10. Sometimes it's okay to be broken and to tell people about it. You can't always fix yourself on your own. One of the hardest decisions I've ever made was to let people into my life and admit that I wasn't as fine as I pretended to be but it was also one of the best decisions I ever made.
11. Laundry is really important to do if you want to have clothes.
12. People sometimes believe different things than you. That's okay. They're still people and you still need to love them.
13. Sometimes, you need to be alone. That's okay. But don't be alone so much that you start to get lonely. Loneliness is sometimes your own fault and when it is, that's silly. Don't choose to be lonely. Be with friends. They're a good thing to have around.
14. Sometimes your blog posts are a little bit serious and that's scary.
14. Sometimes you forget how to count correctly.
15. Sometimes you're gonna disappoint yourself and maybe even people around you. Sometimes it feels like all you do is disappoint people. Don't let yourself think that you are only a disappointment because that's a really sad thing to feel and also it's definitely not true.
16. Be nice to people. Even if they're really hard to be nice to. You'll feel better about yourself for being nice than for being mean.
17. Don't be serious too much. It scares people. Mostly it scares me. I only like funny things, guys.
18. Lists are the best.
19. Do stuff you like. Work at a job you like. Or at least make a job you don't like fun. Take classes that interest you. Spend time with people that make you happy. You have to make yourself happy because life is gonna try really hard to make you not happy sometimes and you can't expect others to fix that for you.
20. Sets of ten are great, and I have no more advice for myself and for all of you. Also, I thought this would be a great way to end this blog post and then it was a little bit awkward and I think I'm making it more awkward now... Uh... Okay, bye! (Goodbyes are hard.)

No comments:

Post a Comment